So fresh and so green.
I am all for eating giant salads, piles of sautéed spinach, cut crudité, and large fruit salads with dollops of yogurt on top. But sometimes I like to give my body a healthful jolt by getting most of my fruits and vegetables for the day all at once. This green smoothie recipe combines equal parts fruit and vegetables (kale! pineapple! apple! ginger! cukes!), plus flax meal and sweet dates for what I think is the best, freshest, and most nourishing green smoothie recipe around.
You’ll also like: Homemade Orange Granita and Strawberry Watermelon Agua Fresca
Recipe Notes: Pineapple, Apple + Kale Green Smoothie
The nice thing about a good green smoothie recipe is that the recipe itself acts as a guidepost, in case you would like to riff or need to substitute. For example: no kale? Substitute spinach. Don’t like coconut water? Just use regular water. You can also substitute some pure maple syrup for dates, and powdered ginger for fresh. You can also add any favorite extras, like banana, yogurt, an orange, or anything else. The point is, while this recipe is tested tried and true, it should also be seen as mere inspiration.
Some other notes:
- Everyone’s fruit will be slightly more or less ripe, so the level of sweetness will vary. Taste before serving and adjust as necessary.
- I like to chill all of my fruit in advance so that my smoothie is nice and cold
- You can vary the level of thickness as you like by adding more or less water or coconut water
Did you make this green smoothie recipe? How was it? Share below.
Pineapple + Kale Green Smoothie
- 2 large handfuls fresh kale
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks (from about half a pineapple)
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 4 pitted dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup water or coconut water (more or less depending on how thick you like your smoothie)
- 2-inch knob fresh ginger, or 1 teaspoon dried powdered ginger
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 ripe banana and/or 1/2 cup plain yogurt (optional)
- Blend everything together until very smooth.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust sweetness and thickness as necessary. Serve. Can be made, chilled in advance, and served later.