Orange you glad you’re reading this?
Pumpkin and winter squash like butternut, delicata, and acorn, lend themselves to wonderfully nourishing, seasonal food. These best pumpkin and winter squash recipes are tried, true, and always inspiring, from butternut squash lasagna to perfect pumpkin bread. Updated Fall 2021.
The Best Winter Squash and Pumpkin Recipes Roundup
Fall is the season for everything orange. Foliage bursts with bright yellows, oranges, and reds while pumpkins and jack-o’-lanterns adorn porches, front stoops, and homes. Food is no exception. Here are all of Unpeeled’s pumpkin and winter squash recipes to make the very best of this very nice season.
You might also like: Halloween: A Food History
Savory Winter Squash Recipes for Dinner
These recipes go heavy on bright, mildly sweet winter squash for fall and winter dishes that really satisfy. The kale and squash salad is hearty enough to be its own meal. Butternut, acorn, and delicata squashes make tasty appearances, and the pumpkin pasta is a must.
The butternut squash lasagna makes a top comfort food, with savory sausage and creamy béchamel sauce. And if you can get your hands on some squash blossoms, great. Stuff them with cheese and pan fry them for one of the best snacks you’ve ever had. All this and more, below.
Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza
This roasted butternut squash pizza recipe makes a chic, easy fall and winter pizza. Onion, sage, blue or goat cheese, and rosemary enhance the rich seasonal flavor.
Harvest Butternut Squash Kale Salad With Cider Vinaigrette
Fall salad recipes (or any salad recipe, for that matter) just don’t get better than this seasonal kale and butternut squash salad, loaded with flavor, color, and texture.
Butternut Squash and Sausage Lasagna Roll-Ups
This sausage butternut squash lasagna recipe is a true centerpiece supper: pure fall and winter comfort food that tastes amazing, and looks spectacular.
Simple Roasted Acorn Squash
This easy roasted acorn squash recipe is simply made, and simply beautiful.
Fried Stuffed Squash Blossoms
Stuffed with cheese and pan fried, these cheesy fried stuffed squash blossoms make the world’s greatest snack.
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta With Prosciutto + Sage
An easy, extraordinarily good pumpkin pasta recipe, a pasta layered with creamy pumpkin sauce, salty prosciutto and earthy sage. This elegant, comforting dinner comes together in minutes.
Bake Up Some Sweet Pumpkin Dessert Recipes
Nothings says autumn like the smell of baking spices and pumpkin in the oven. Each of these sweet pumpkin desserts taste delicious, from classic pumpkin pie to the best pumpkin bread ever.
A Better Pumpkin Pie
This is a recipe for a better pumpkin pie. One that is silky and rich, with a crisp crust on the bottom.
Pumpkin Donut Muffins Rolled in Cinnamon Sugar
Everyone loves donuts. Everyone loves muffins. Why not have both in one? Moist pumpkin donut muffins rolled in cinnamon sugar are the best of both worlds.
The Ultimate Pumpkin Pecan Bread
The combination of pumpkin sweetness, nuts, and baking spices makes this pumpkin bread just right for autumn and winter’s cozy weather.
Honey Maple Granola With Pumpkin Seeds
This honey maple granola recipe with pumpkin seeds makes a wholesome, crunchy breakfast that is light yet substantial.
Homemade Spiced Pumpkin Butter
This easy homemade pumpkin butter recipe makes a wonderfully sweet spread. Made with a simple can of pumpkin, spices, and brown sugar, this pumpkin butter tastes just like pumpkin pie — but without the work.
What are your favorite pumpkin or winter squash recipes? Share below!
Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza
- 1 one-pound fresh pizza dough, at room temperature
- Flour and cornmeal for dusting (cornmeal optional; flour is a must)
- 5 tablespoons good olive oil, divided
- 2 cups shredded, low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups or so 1" butternut squash cubes, from 1 medium-large butternut squash (about 1 pound of diced squash)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced very thin
- 2 tablespoons honey
- kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line or grease a rimmed half-sheet pan.
- Cut the butternut squash into 1-inch cubes. Toss with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper. Roast, stirring once, for about 15 minutes, until just tender. It's ok if the squash is slightly underdone.PRO TIP: To break down a whole butternut squash, trim the top and bottom from the squash. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the squash. Cut the long neck portion into cubes. Then, slice the bulbous bottom portion in half length lengthwise. Scoop the seeds and membrane, then dice each half. This Food52 article breaks the process down well, with photos.
- While the butternut squash roasts, prepare your remaining ingredients.
- Flour, stretch, and press the pizza dough into a half-sheet pan that's been greased with the remaining olive oil and dusted with cornmeal or flour. Dust the pizza dough with flour as necessary to prevent it from sticking. TIP: If you want to save a dish, or only have one half-sheet pan, just wait until the butternut squash is out of the oven. When the sheet pan cools, just re-grease and proceed.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the pizza dough. Add the onion, then the roasted butternut squash, followed by the crumbled blue or goat cheese, sage, and rosemary. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the bottom of the pizza crust is golden brown. PRO TIP: Place the sheet pan on the bottom rack of the oven. The radiant heat from the oven floor will help brown the bottom of the crust. You could also put the sheet pan directly on top of a pizza stone.
- Drizzle the honey over the pizza. Cut into slices and serve hot.