Ditch the Toll House bag recipe. Here is The One.
All you really need to know about this recipe is that you now have the recipe for the ultimate chocolate chip cookies, and the only chocolate chip cookies you will ever want to make.
Sound dramatic? Allow me to elaborate. To be sure, these are definitely chocolate chip cookies. But they are elevated to the ultimate chocolate chip cookies by dark chocolate chips, a generous dose of vanilla, a little salt — and a secret ingredient. Oatmeal gets blitzed into a flour in the food processor. This oat flour creates a cookie dough with a satisfyingly hearty, chewy texture.
You will also like: Pecan Sugar Shortbread Cookies and Soft Italian Sprinkle Cookies
Most chocolate chip cookies are fairly standard. That is not a bad thing. Chocolate chip cookies are popular for a reason. Sure, some taste crispy, some soft, some a little salty, some sweet. But for the most part, they are the same. Not these cookies.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Baking Tips
First, underbake your cookies by a minute or so. They should be golden-brown on the bottom and not look shiny and raw on top, but still slightly underbaked. This will keep them chewy and soft in the middle, but crisp on the edges.
Second, as with all cookies, unless you have a convection oven that can circulate air throughout the oven during baking, bake make one tray of cookies at a time. If you are in a hurry and want to make two trays, rotate them top to bottom and front to back halfway through. Try to keep them away from the very top of bottom of the oven. The center racks are best.
What cookies have you been baking? Share in the comments, below.
The Ultimate Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 2/3 cups rolled oats, ground into flour in food processor
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/4 teaspoon table salt)
- 3/4 cup (or 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips I like Hershey's Special Dark
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease or parchment three baking sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground oatmeal, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar on medium to medium high until very fluffy and light. Scrape the bowl and make sure everything is uniformly combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix on medium-high until fluffy and combined. Scrape the bowl and mix again to get all the batter mixed thoroughly.
- Add the dry ingredients, chips, and walnuts (if using), and mix on low just until combined, scraping the bowl halfway.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop rounds of cookie dough onto the cookie sheets, leaving at least an inch and a half of space between each. They will spread a bit.
- Chill cookies for 15 to 30 minutes. This is optional, but it will help the cookies spread less and stay chewy in the middle.
- Bake one tray at a time (unless you have a convection oven), rotating halfway, for 10 to 12 minutes, until the bottoms are light brown and the tops look set and dry, but still light.