A toast to the roast.
I am fairly certain that I will never steam or boil a green bean again. Roasting them tastes better. And roasted green beans topped with crunchy, buttery breadcrumbs tossed with shallot and fresh lemon zest are just about out of this world.
You’ll also like: Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad and Baked Cauliflower Gratin
I shouldn’t be too down on steamed green beans. Steaming vegetables actually preserves nutrients better than other methods. And if you keep an eye on them, it is possible to steam vegetables without overcooking them. But so often, I find it difficult to navigate the fine line between bright, al dente vegetables and flaccid, mealy fail.
But then there is roasting. Roasted vegetables — green beans included — benefit from more concentrated flavor, and good texture. Ease of cooking is another big benefit. This roasted green bean recipe involves little more than simply tossing the beans with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then let the oven do the work while you prepare the breadcrumbs.
Recipe Notes: Roasted Green Beans With Breadcrumbs
This recipe is fairly straightforward and uncomplicated. But the combination of textures and the hint of lemon and shallot makes it into something special.
- Toasted breadcrumbs are a great, simple way to add texture to any dish. I like fresh breadcrumbs or Japanese-style panko breadcrumbs because they have larger, lighter crumbs. But any plain breadcrumbs will do.
- Breadcrumbs toast quickly, as do shallots. So keep a close eye on them when they are in the skillet, and stir often so they do not burn.
- Make extra toasted buttered breadcrumbs and keep them in the refrigerator to top on pasta dishes or other vegetables.
Did you make Roasted Green Beans With Breadcrumbs? How was it?
Roasted Green Beans With Breadcrumbs
For the Green Beans
- 12 ounces green beans, preferably haricots verts, cleaned and trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 turns fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and cut into wedges
For the Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs, such as panko
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (about 1/4 whole)
- 1 generous pinch kosher salt
- zest of 1 lemon
For the Green Beans
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet.
- Toss the green beans with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly on the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the juice of one of your lemon wedges.
For the Breadcrumbs and to Finish
- While the beans are roasting, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and breadcrumbs and stir to coat with butter. Toast, stirring frequently, until medium-brown. Remove from heat.
- Place the green beans on a serving platter. Top generously with the breadcrumbs and lemon zest. Garnish with the rest of the lemon wedges. Serve warm.