A simple sheet pan crowd pleaser.
This Italian sausage and peppers recipe is an Italian-American staple that appears at everything from weeknight family dinner to a cousin’s First Holy Communion party. This easy sheet pan supper is easy to make, really satisfying, and perfect for big crowds — or those just crowded around the dinner table.
You may also enjoy: Roast Chicken With Lots of Herbs and Soft Italian Sprinkle Cookies
Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe Notes
Serve Italian sausage and peppers hot and juicy on a sub roll, or baked with small or cut-up potatoes, such as Yukon Golds. This recipe serves about 6 to 8 people, and can be easily doubled or halved.
The addition of grape tomatoes skews slightly non-traditional. But the tomatoes add the right amount of juiciness, and a mild hit of acidity. (Best of all, there is no need to cut them; they will soften and burst while baking.)
Choose your favorite Italian sausage, whether hot, sweet, a combination of the two, turkey, or pork. I like to cut each sausage link into three or four pieces.
You can cut the vegetables into large chunks — which is not only easier, but more appropriate than smaller cuts. The onions and peppers will cook down very soft, so bigger pieces taste better.
Did you make this recipe for Italian sausage and peppers? How was it?
Italian Sausage and Peppers
- 5 assorted bell peppers, chopped into 1" to 2" chunks
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 pounds Italian pork or turkey sausage, mild or sweet, cut into thick chunks
- 1/2 bunch Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- sub rolls, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and grease two half-sheet pans. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Divide onto two half-sheet pans. Bake, uncovered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so, or until everything is nicely browned, cooked, and soft. Serve hot, plain, or on sub rolls.