A simple sheet pan crowd pleaser.
This Italian sausage, peppers and onions recipe feeds a crowd and hits all the right notes, with savory sausage roasted with potatoes and fresh tomato, bell peppers, and onion. A flavorful, easy family favorite.
This Italian sausage and peppers recipe is an Italian-American staple that appears at everything from weeknight family dinner to a cousin’s First Holy Communion party. This easy sheet pan supper is easy to make, really satisfying, and perfect for big crowds — or those just crowded around the dinner table.
Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe Notes
- Serve Italian sausage and peppers hot and juicy on a sub roll, or baked with small or cut-up potatoes, such as Yukon Golds.
- This recipe serves about 6 to 8 people, and can be easily doubled or halved.
- The addition of grape tomatoes skews slightly non-traditional. But the tomatoes add the right amount of juiciness, and a mild hit of acidity. (Best of all, there is no need to cut them; they will soften and burst while baking.)
Choose your favorite Italian sausage, whether hot, sweet, a combination of the two, turkey, or pork. I like to cut each sausage link into three or four pieces.
You can cut the vegetables into fairly large chunks — which is not only easier, but more appropriate than smaller cuts. The onions and peppers will cook down very soft, so bigger pieces taste better.
Love Sausage and Peppers? You’ll also enjoy:
- Roast Chicken With Lots of Herbs
- Soft Italian Sprinkle Cookies
- Perfect 20-Minute Marinara
- Old-School Baked Ziti With Meatballs
Italian Sausage, Peppers and Onions
- 5 assorted bell peppers, chopped into 1" to 2" chunks
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 pounds Italian pork or turkey sausage, mild or sweet, cut into thick chunks (about 6 Italian sausage links)
- ½ bunch Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoon fennel seed
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds small fingerling or yellow creamer potatoes
- sub rolls, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and grease two half-sheet pans. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients (except the rolls, of course!) and mix well.
- Divide onto two half-sheet pans. Bake, uncovered, for about 1 hour, stirring every 30 minutes or so, or until everything is nicely browned, and the potatoes are fork tender. Depending how packed the sheet pans are, the time needed might be longer.PRO TIP: If the vegetables start to brown too much before the potatoes are soft and fully cooked, tent the sheet pans with foil.
- Taste for seasoning. Serve hot, plain, or on sub rolls.
Great, easy dinner! I had 4 Italian sausages and 3 bell peppers so made approx half on one sheet pan, 45 min was perfect. Will definitely make again.
Fantastic! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed. One of my favorite easy dinners 🙂
Bella Martinez says
Very good combination of flavors, etc.
This was extremely good but I must confess, I only cooked it for 40 minutes. I have made similar recipes and they all are roasted between 30 to 40 minutes.
I used mild Italian sausages (because we don’t do spicy) but next time I will try hot Italian if serving them as a sub.
Maureen O'Connell says
Everyone loved this. I made the full recipe which is a lot, but we had good leftovers.