An understated beauty.
Apple cake gets more attention, but I’m in love with this lovely little fresh pear cake. This easy pear dessert recipe is a true autumn baking standout: ripe pears, easy cake batter, kissed with cinnamon.
What to do with a lot of pears? Bake an easy pear dessert! This pear recipe is a piece of cake.
Apple recipes — apple cake, applesauce, apple pie, apple cider — tend to get the most attention in fall and winter, when apples are at their peak and recipes abound. But this simple, easy vanilla pear cake recipe makes a strong case for the season’s other best fruit: the pear.
What can I say? I love this moist little pear cake recipe. This simple dessert is loaded with chunks of fresh, ripe pears tossed just-so with cinnamon.
You’ll also like: Homemade Chunky Applesauce and Classic Apple Pie
Fresh Pear Cake Recipe Notes
This easy pear dessert recipe starts with a basic vanilla cake batter. Combine oil and sugar, then add the eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon. When that has lightened, you will add the dry ingredients, then fold in the pears and bake.
You do not need any specific type of pear. Any will do; just make sure they are nice and ripe, and be sure to peel them. Top to bottom is the easiest way.
While this pear cake recipe makes a single 8- or 9-inch layer cake, it can easily be doubled and baked in two cake pans or a single tube pan. If you bake this in a tube pan, or vary the size of the round pans, the baking time will vary, so keep an eye.
Knowing When Your Pear Cake Is Baked
Your cake is done when a cake tester or skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, and the top feels firm but not hard, like a sponge. You may also notice the edges pulling away from the pan.
Finish This Easy Pear Dessert With Buttercream Frosting
Finally, your finished fresh pear cake will be perfect as-is, or with a dusting of powdered sugar.
But you can also add a layer of vanilla buttercream frosting. You won’t need much, so I would use the below ratio. Combine in a bowl and mix until smooth and fluffy.
- 1 stick (4 ounces) of unsalted butter, at soft room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- A generous pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Did you make this fresh pear cake recipe? Share how it went!
Lovely Fresh Pear Cake
- ½ cup neutral vegetable oi, such as canola
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup pear juice, apple juice, apple cider, orange juice, or water
- 2 cups medium-diced ripe pears (about 1/2" x 1/2"), peeled and cored (about 2 large pears)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease your cake pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the oil and sugar until emulsified. Add the eggs, vanilla, salt, juice or water, and cinnamon. Beat on medium, scraping the bowl once, until lightened and smooth.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix just until combined. Fold in the pears.
- Pour batter into the cake pan and bake on the center rack until finished, about 40 minutes.
- Cool on a cooling rack until the cake pan can be handled with bare hands, but still warm. Run a knife or offset spatula around the edge of the cake pan to loosen the cake. Turn the cake out onto the rack and let cool fully.
- Leave plain, or top with powdered sugar or vanilla buttercream frosting.
This is the BEST cake I ever ate!!!! It mix up easily recipe so easy to follow.
An impressive taste from a simple recipe. I doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9″x13′ pan. I did substitute “apple pie spice” instead of cinnamon (I needed to use it up). I topped it with a drizzle of butter icing. I will definitely make this again as my entire family loved it.
Great idea to sub the apple pie spice, and I’m so glad that you liked it! It is a nice little cake, isn’t it? Thanks for writing.
Made the pear cake today! So easy and really delicious!
Thank you. Pat
This really is a great little cake. Perfect for afternoon tea! Very easy.
Just finished a piece of this delightful cake. It is sweet, moist and soft. The 1 stick of butter, 2 cups powdered sugar buttercream made the perfect amount of frosting. Loved that it makes a one layer cake. Perfect!
Wonderful! So glad that you enjoyed it.