Stacy, it’s time to break up.
Life’s great mysteries: 1) What is the meaning of life? 2) If the universe is always expanding, what is beyond its edge? 3) Why have I been buying pita chips all these years? Homemade pita chips like Stacy’s, tossed simply with olive oil and salt, are about the best snack ever. Best of all, they take 20 minutes to make with ingredients that are always around.
Stacy’s makes a pretty amazing pita chip. Theirs is, for my money, the gold standard of crunchy chip-like snacks. (Side note: The company actually got a really interesting start, as profiled on N.P.R.’s “How I Built This.”)
But here is another truth: Homemade pita chips are just as good as Stacy’s, and about as easy as opening a bag of the pre-packaged variety.
You will also enjoy: Edamame Hummus Dip and How to Slice a Loaf of Bread
Here is all you have to do to bake up your own homemade pita chips:
- Toss cut pita wedges with olive oil,
- Add some salt, and
Not too complicated, right? The simple sea salt and olive oil pita chips taste great and pair with everything. But you can vary homemade pita chips by adding some toppings and mix-ins like minced garlic and parsley, some grated parmesan cheese, or even cinnamon sugar before baking.
Homemade Pita Chips With Sea Salt
- 3 store-bought pitas, white or whole wheat
- 3/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt (kosher salt is fine, too)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Stack the pitas, and slice into wedges, cutting longwise at 12 to 6 o'clock; then horizontally from 9 to 3 o'clock. Then slice each quarter diagonally in half, making a large X.
- Toss the pita wedges with the olive oil and salt until all the pita wedges are fully coated. Spread the pita wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Let cool to room temperature.These will keep in an airtight container for at least a week.